Longhirst Village Hall
Facilities - Longhirst Village Hall is well equipped with efficient heating and lighting, disabled access, disabled toilets. It has a fully equipped kitchen including cooking, dishwashing, coffee-making, and boiling-water dispenser. It has a full-size but not full height badminton court, projector screen, hearing-loop sound system. There is a moderate amount of off-road parking available both in front of and behind the Hall for bona fide users of the premises.
History - Longhirst Village Hall was built by the Lawson family in 1847, as a reading room for the village. It then became the first school building in the village and much later, it became the St. John’s Church Hall. In 2002 it was leased by the Church, for a period of 99 years, to a new secular charity, The Longhirst Parish Association, set up for the purpose refurbishing, developing, and maintaining the Hall for the benefit of the whole community.
Longhirst Village Hall is a Grade II listed building (Listing NGR: NZ2250889296); a description of this and other listed buildings in the village can be found at http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/england/northumberland/longhirst.
Trustees - Longhirst Village Hall is administered by a registered charity called the Longhirst Parish Association (LPA). Four Trustees are elected by the annual general meeting of the Association, and others are nominated by interested groups in the civil parish such as the Garden Association (see Activities). Currently the officers of the LPA are:
Chairman- Margaret Lediard; Secretary- Mike Elphick; Treasurer- Linda Rudd.